Tuesday, March 29, 2011

AAUW STEM Career Conference Field Trip

My name is Samantha, I am an 8th Grader at Burcham K-8 School. On Friday, February 26, 2010. I went on a field trip with my YMCA/WRAP After School Program to Long Beach City College (Liberal Arts Campus) for the annual AAUW (American Association of University Women) STEM Career Conference. I had a great experience. Before we went on the field trip, we had to fill out a paper and choose which career workshops we were interested in. There were so many choices to make. The choices were architect, banker, chemical engineer, computer programmer, coroner, horticulturist, marine biologist, and public health nurse. I had to pick my top three I wanted. I picked coroner, chemical engineer and marine biologist. The conference was in the new building at LBCC. When we arrived to LBCC, there were many different girls attending from different schools. There were a lot of middle school girls and also high school girls.

In the beginning, we all went into the main building we listened to a keynote speaker. She was talking to us about what she did and that she had a very challenging life growing up and that she was not ashamed to tell us girls her story. She told us that she had a boyfriend that was a gang member and he got her pregnant and it messed up her life. She shared that she really wanted to finish her education. She said she was no longer with her gang member boyfriend and she finally did graduate from Cal State Dominguez. Her story meant something to me because she went through a lot of challenges but she pushed forward to finish her school and go on to finish college. I want to finish high school, go to college and accomplish my goals. She told us not to give up, to finish college and not to hang out with street boys or have boyfriends in high school. We should focus on school and achieve all goals.

The two workshops I attended were the chemical engineer and the coroner ones. Chemical engineering was a fun experience because I always thought that the factory would be harmful to us. The speaker was one of the employees of the factory and she told us why she works there. One reason she told us when she was a kid she wanted to create make –up and the perfect acne product. After she told us how the factory works, she then had us do an experiment that was so fun but slimy. We made some type of goo that is easy to make at home. The Coroner has a job that you have to have guts for to do. I would try to handle the job but the lady that was our teacher had courage. The fist step to take care of the dead body is that she has to check how did that person die. Second step if their friend or someone in the car survives they have to put their name on the toe tag. There are different types of death like suicide, murder, and overdose. I enjoyed the coroner a lot because I didn’t know that there was a coroner I thought that the police or ambulance paramedics took care of dead people. It really opened my eyes that people there are people in charge of just finding out how people die. The coroner was very funny and I learned a lot from her.

Both of the subjects that I attended were fun and I can’t pick a favorite. I learned so much from and I loved it. This experience gave me ideas on what kind of career I can have. It was an experience I will not forget.

For more information on AAUW, visit their website: www.aauw.org

Written By Samantha T.

No comments:

Post a Comment